FANDOM


  • It is proposed that we change section 10 of the Blacklisted subjects on

    https://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Creepypasta_Wiki:Spinoffs

    from

    No "haunted game" style video game pastas. We're still holding off on banning gamepastas entirely, but hopefully this will improve things. Come on people, a game doesn't have to be haunted or possessed to be scary.

    to

    No "haunted game" or "haunted website" or "haunted computer program" or "haunted video tape" or "haunted phone app" or "haunted song" style pastas or any derivative thereof. If the game or media does abnormal things to a person that can't be explained with technology, it is "haunted." Come on people, a game doesn't have to be haunted or possessed to be scary.

    Vote!

    Please signify your vote by the customary symbol.


    Support Support -

       Support Support - 
        {{Support}} 
    

    Neutral Neutral -

       Neutral Neutral - 
        {{Neutral}} 
    

    Oppose Oppose -

       Oppose Oppose - 
        {{Oppose}}  
    
      Loading editor
    • Support Support -

      We have had an influx of these that technically aren't video games but otherwise it's the same unimaginative pasta. Let's make it clear and ban these parallel haunted media.

        Loading editor
    • Oppose Oppose - as is.

      I can see where you're going with this, but as it is, it's way too restrictive and lends itself to abuse without a clear definition of "haunted."

        Loading editor
    • Jdeschene wrote: Oppose Oppose - as is.

      I can see where you're going with this, but as it is, it's way too restrictive and lends itself to abuse without a clear definition of "haunted."

      Jdeschene,

      How would you rewrite it to make the definition of "haunted" clearer?

      Dr. Bob

        Loading editor
    • DrBobSmith wrote:

      Jdeschene wrote: Oppose Oppose - as is.

      I can see where you're going with this, but as it is, it's way too restrictive and lends itself to abuse without a clear definition of "haunted."

      Jdeschene,

      How would you rewrite it to make the definition of "haunted" clearer?

      Dr. Bob

      The dictionary definition of "haunted" is "(of a place) frequented by a ghost or other paranormal entity."  If you just wanted to ban this type of story, that wouldn't be so restrictive.  However, many people on this site use "haunted" as a blanet term for "having or causing any paranormal or supernatural negative effects or properties."  That covers far more ground and would potentially be strangling.

        Loading editor
    • I'm not sure you can vote on your own vote, but whatever. 

      I think it's important we define what the "haunted" means; basically all sorts of stories about real-life media that are supposed to work normally in story but aren't. Those that end up being distorted to be the "scare factor" of the story. Example of this would be all lost episodes, all Whatever.EXE. Every CP about any version of the game that suddenly starts acting weirdly and becoming "creepy". 

      I am for haunted objects that have the sole point of being a haunted object. Like a picture tied to a ghost or a CD containing the voice of a celestial being. The key point with these being that their whole purpose is to be a haunted object and not a distortion into something haunted. That way ACTUALLY haunted objects aren't the scare factor they are just the plot device to unlocking the scare factor. 

      I hope this makes things clearer.

      I Support Support - this proposition

        Loading editor
    • Jdeschene wrote:

      DrBobSmith wrote:

      Jdeschene wrote: Oppose Oppose - as is.

      I can see where you're going with this, but as it is, it's way too restrictive and lends itself to abuse without a clear definition of "haunted."

      Jdeschene,

      How would you rewrite it to make the definition of "haunted" clearer?

      Dr. Bob

      The dictionary definition of "haunted" is "(of a place) frequented by a ghost or other paranormal entity."  If you just wanted to ban this type of story, that wouldn't be so restrictive.  However, many people on this site use "haunted" as a blanet term for "having or causing any paranormal or supernatural negative effects or properties."  That covers far more ground and would potentially be strangling.

      Perhaps the format of the trope "haunted game" story should be used as part of the definition. We all know it when we see it.

      Is the common element that "the player goes inside the game?"

        Loading editor
    • DrBobSmith wrote:

      Jdeschene wrote:

      DrBobSmith wrote:

      Jdeschene wrote: Oppose Oppose - as is.

      I can see where you're going with this, but as it is, it's way too restrictive and lends itself to abuse without a clear definition of "haunted."

      Jdeschene,

      How would you rewrite it to make the definition of "haunted" clearer?

      Dr. Bob

      The dictionary definition of "haunted" is "(of a place) frequented by a ghost or other paranormal entity."  If you just wanted to ban this type of story, that wouldn't be so restrictive.  However, many people on this site use "haunted" as a blanet term for "having or causing any paranormal or supernatural negative effects or properties."  That covers far more ground and would potentially be strangling.

      Perhaps the format of the trope "haunted game" story should be used as part of the definition. We all know it when we see it.

      Is the common element that "the player goes inside the game?"

      Could you point toward two or three examples of what you're trying to avoid?

        Loading editor
    • Support Support -

      On top of that we should consider getting rid of video game pastas in general.

        Loading editor
    • Jdeschene wrote:

      Could you point toward two or three examples of what you're trying to avoid?

      https://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:640902

      https://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:640870

      Those aren't the worst I have seen by a long shot.

      I'm also wondering about that box of video tapes pasta you mentioned earlier. Does that qualify?

        Loading editor
    • Oppose Oppose -

      For one thing, besides the "haunted game" blacklist, we already have the rule right above it.

      "No .exe or 'haunted file' style pastas. They're just not scary anymore. "

      By any reasonable interpretation, I'd say that already covers "haunted website", "haunted app", "haunted computer program", "haunted USB drive", "haunted Power Point", "haunted Tik Tok video", etc.

      Extending the rule to all other media is beyond a slippery slope. Would the updated rule apply to "haunted book"? Haunted toy? Haunted amusement ride?

      Your new definition would also effectively blacklist all non-reality based television pastas if your definition of "haunted" is "weird thing not explained by technology." Would this story now qualify as a "haunted show" and be blacklisted? What about this one?

      The most I'd support is adding the words "or haunted website" to blacklist rule 9.

        Loading editor
    • DrBobSmith wrote:

      Jdeschene wrote:

      Could you point toward two or three examples of what you're trying to avoid?

      https://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:640902

      https://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:640870

      Those aren't the worst I have seen by a long shot.

      I'm also wondering about that box of video tapes pasta you mentioned earlier. Does that qualify?

      If the two examples you gave are typical for what you're seeking to ban, then I don't think any change to the rules is necessary as both have enough other problems to warrant removal (provided the admins do their job).

      What I could see making sense is a clearly stated ban on writing stories about games and websites that actually exist.  It's one thing if a writer wants to make up a video game or a website entirely, but a whole other thing if the game or site is a real thing.  At least, this is so in my opinion.

        Loading editor
    • Neutral Neutral -

      I my self am for what ever. I will say though I'm sick of seeing them. (LOL) Been a few already this week that are bad. Not my site or rules but I have not seen any that have come in last few months that where worth a damn. Being honest, I my self do not find them interesting.

        Loading editor
    • Oppose Oppose - Per HopelessNightOwl. Banning all haunted media seems a step too far.

        Loading editor
    • Oppose Oppose - If it ain't briken, don't fox it. We need to leave some wiggle room for writers out there to "break the mold".

        Loading editor
    • Oppose Oppose - Ditto on what Hopeless said

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message