Summary- Read First!
Sometimes, things that were never meant to be scary, end up being scary anyways. This notion is universally familiar to anyone who was ever scared by a toy, book, cartoon or whatever as a child, and because of such frightening experiences at such a young age, these can be just as, if not scarier than, the latest blockbuster horror movie. This is what we like to call "Nightmare Fuel."
Below is a gallery depicting myriad examples of this frightening phenomena, but when submitting, remember:
- Nightmare Fuel was NOT meant to be scary in the first place.
- Nothing from any serious horror films or ghosts or paranormal pics or gore or anything like that, please.
- If it is meant to be scary in the first place, it's automatically disqualified as Nightmare Fuel. Yes, this includes things that are meant to be creepy or scary in children's and family cartoons, so no Chernoborg, gross close-up shots in Spongebob, the clowns in The Brave Little Toaster and such.
- It's common to find material in ads, videos, animals, cartoons, shows, etc. which are innocent in nature.
- No 'shopping images to make them more frightening; that's cheating. Genuine Nightmare Fuel is supposed to be scary enough on its own.
- As with other galleries, screamers do not belong here. Post any, and you will be banned. Animated GIFs are fine, but NO SCREAMERS.
- We don't use TV Tropes' definition of Nightmare Fuel. So stop asking.
- And please, for the love of Nyarlathotep, NO MORE CLOWNS OR EASTER BUNNIES (unless they're especially horrific.)
Several sites on the Internet have risen to collect Nightmare Fuel (such as this wikia is devoted to Creepypastas) and this is not meant to be an extensive but rather a demonstrative collection, so don't overdo it.
If you're not sure whether a picture you found can be considered Nightmare Fuel or not, ask someone who you deem trusty about it. It's better than having your content deleted (maybe even yourself banned) and helps keeps the article clean. Always remember: "It's easy to find scary pictures. It's easy to find movies that are over-the-top in being gross, disgusting or disturbing. It's hard to find things that are scary without meaning to be. It's harder to find Nightmare Fuel.