Creepypasta Wiki
Register
Advertisement


Many say she was a legend, many say she was truth. Many think she is long dead, but some think she is still out there. No one knows when she got here. Was she born here in the colony? Did she come by boat and step off at St. Mary's landing? Was she here before, with the Indians? Or was she even here before them? Who knows. No one knows her name for certain, although the tale of Moll Dyer is often suspect, despite the fact many believe the latter innocent, other than "the witch" or even just an implied "her", who actually showed her unseen face in a few other local legends.

But what we do know is what she was blamed for: disease, famine, spirits, and above all Cry Baby Bridge. You see, Cry Baby Bridge isn't even its real name, I think its real name is Great Mills Crossing, or maybe on Old St. Andrew's Church Road, I'm not too sure. What I can tell you is the story. I recall it from the fireside at my grandfather's house to the lunch table at Leonardtown Elementary, I have actually heard several twists, but this much remains the same...

It was late and night and a young mother went out for a stroll with her newborn child. As she walked down the road a dense fog rolled in, and the child started crying. She began to sing lullabies and rock the child, but he would not tire from his crying.

However, when she passed over an old stone bridge the loud trickling of the water bellow seemed to calm the child, but he still uttered a faint sobbing. As she stepped closer to edge the baby fell asleep, but even the mother seemed to be made drowsy by the babbling and chuckling of the cold water beneath the bridge. The young woman took one step closer to the edge and a sudden cold hand pushed her in the back of the shoulder, and the child fell to the water bellow.

As the mother turned around there was nobody there, and she quickly stumbled into the creek to find her baby, but he was gone forever, already dead. They say as she cried wading through the cold, black water she heard a faint wicked laugh coming from the woods. Now, if you stand on Cry Baby Bridge on a night of dense fog, some say you can still hear crying coming from the water bellow.

One story claims the crying it to be the mother, but most agree the ghostly sobbing is that of the baby. In another incident involving "her", a small child was killed in a drunk driving accident awhile back. The first officer responding to the scene of the wreck claimed he heard a cruel stroke of female laughter coming from the surrounding cornfields.

Advertisement